Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Be Still


Twenty-fourteen slipped in over champagne and toasts with big dreams.
Thoughts have tumbled a lot about this year and I loved choosing a word last year and continually learning gratitude through all 12 months of 2013.
But on the cusp of this year there are some really big dreams with real possibility of becoming realities.
Big goals.
Big visions.
Big girl pants required.

And as I thought through the excitement, anxiety and pure exhaustion all these big changes will bring I wanted words that continually pointed me back to God. Christ centering me in the midst of these giant waves.

Be Still.

" A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" -Mark 4:36-40 (emphasis added)

Or as The Message so aptly puts it: "Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, "Quiet! Settle down!" The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass. Jesus reprimanded the disciples: "Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?"

Just, stop.
In the midst of crazy don't give in to apathy, or anger, or impatience.
All the easy options I grasp as I demand to be in control.
Instead finding love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
And I cannot do this on my own.

So in 2014 I'm trying to loose that grip.
To find in the midst of storms and waves, stillness. God.

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him." - Psalm 37:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

~2013~