Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lent 2013: Unfinished Business

I was trying to decide what to do to observe Lent this year and knew that something needed to change as my current schedule consisted of: Work, Home, Netflix / iPad games for hours, Late to Bed. Repeat. 
That's a whole lot of time not doing a whole lot. 

So, I was inspired by a friend of mine as I was browsing her Lenten reflections on her blog and decided to adopt the idea (with a few revisions)! Since Lent is basically 8 weeks I decided to take those weeks to re-order my time. To use it wisely. Creatively. To do things that I enjoy and to bring more time strengthening my faith, working on the most important relationship which I usually leave in the dust: my relationship with Christ. So I embarked on the following:

*Read*
*Create*
*Write*
*Cook*
*Pray*

*Read* essentially oriented my time to reading the Word. I already wanted to read through Ephesians so thought why not add all of the books that begin with "E"? So, in 8 weeks I read:

  • Ecclesiastes 
  • Ephesians
  • Esther
  • The first 8 chapters of Exodus
  • The first 8 chapters of Ezekial
  • Ezra
You can read more of my reflections from the richness of these past forty days here
    *Write*
Write 8 hand-written letters of love, encouragement, gratitude. Send.

*Cook*
Check out the recipes I attempted here. (It was a bit of a circus, but I am proud of the results!)  
 
*Create*
I have a large pile, actually, lots of large piles of projects I keep meaning to do. And somehow while I watched Netflix, they didn't magically get done. So. I also decided to finish 8 projects I have been putting off. Below are the results!

#1. Wedding Card Book
Found, compiled and now no longer stored in a tub are all of the kind things and cute cards people sent us for our wedding! 

#2. Circle Scarf
I've wanted one for a while and had some super soft yarn from my mother-in-law for Christmas, so gave it a whirl. 

#3. Sewing Projects
Holes, missing buttons, rips and tears are all now something of the past...(for a while at least)

#4. Emergency Binder
After the fire alarm went off in our apartment building and Nick relayed his chaotic panic (and in hindsight, hilarious story) trying to get the cats and important things out (only to find out it was a false alarm) spurred me to finally finish this project. The internet helped me put this together...there's LOTS of blogs with helpful hints, templates, checklists etc.  

#5. Camcorder --> DVDs
After going through ~25 DVDs and ending up with about 3 that actually worked, and downloading copious amounts of software all recommended by experts I finally found the Movie Maker from Windows and LOVE it. And love my new DVD collection!

#6. Card Scrapbook
Went through my box of old cards and finally finished the book I had started. If ever I'm feel blue just reading a few of these cards will put into perspective just how blessed I am to be surrounded by the people who wrote such encouraging notes. Seriously, it's the cheapest therapy out there.  

 
#7. Scarf for Nick
So, quite a while ago, I knit Nick a scarf which he wore fairly often. And after making a baby blanket and another scarf for presents during Christmas-time I convinced Nick to throw his scarf in the wash too... well, the baby blanket and other scarf came out super soft and clean and Nick's scarf was a hard, felted-together, pathetic piece of ruined yarn. Thus, I've owed him a scarf since then and finally got it finished. (And also noted the yarn label: HAND WASH ONLY!)
 
#8. A Whole Lot of Scrapbooking
From graduation (nearly 3 years ago) until now. I am officially caught up with the miscellaneous albums I'd started and the crazy amount of ticket stubs and programs I'd packed away and carted in boxes to three different apartments. They are finally in beautiful big books.
(And I think I am officially moving to Shutterfly-esque projects except for BIG trips or events.)
Can I just say, PHEW!
 
 
And most important of all... *pray* through it all! 

3 comments:

  1. I just "rediscovered" your blog and LOVED reading this post. You are so creative and productive! Such a good idea to keep the important stuff in one place...and I love your "card scrapbook" idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - Krysta! It was fun and glad you found some inspiration! And the other project I've been up to this year as a New Year's resolution was inspired by you when you took and posted a picture a day...such a fun project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my hero who taught me the beauty of the box on "TO DO" lists. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

~2013~